Lower School Computer Science Instructor
Sierra Canyon School seeks a passionate, experienced educator to serve as a full-time lower school computer science instructor beginning in the 2021-22 school year.
Teaching duties will include teaching K - 6th grade computer science. Sierra Canyon teachers enjoy an outstanding work environment and excellent benefits and engage with students who are eager to learn. As an independent school, the school actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty and develop an inclusive community.
* A competitive candidate must be an inspiring educator who is passionate about teaching computer science in a manner that effectively reaches students.
* The candidate must also demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively with lead and assistant teachers and also work on vertical alignment of curriculum both within the lower school and bridging 7th - 12th grades on the upper campus.
* Outside of the classroom, teachers are encouraged to lead clubs, engage with students, attend outdoor education trips, etc.
* Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a private independent school commitment such as weekly duties, positive interactions with students and parents, and membership in the community by attending different events.
* A masters' degree (preferred)
* Experience teaching in independent schools
* The interest, initiative, and energy to thrive in a lively and fast-paced academic community
* A sense of humor, humility, and the ability to work as part of a team within one’s own division, as a member of the Computer Science department and as an integral part of the faculty