Sierra Canyon is looking for a teacher who exhibits excellence in the classroom, encourages students' development as informed and ethical citizens of the world, and is interested in working collaboratively with colleagues.
Teachers at the School enjoy an outstanding work environment and excellent benefits and engage with students who are eager to learn. As a private independent school, the school actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty and develop an inclusive community.
· teaching a combination of science classes and computer and programming concepts to students ranging from 7–12 grades through engaging lessons
· has an active interest in developing and collaborating on curriculum for Science and Computer Science courses
· for Science, has experience teaching different Science courses and levels with a preference for Chemistry
· is experienced in the use of educational technology in the classroom
· maintaining regular office hours and help sessions
· keeping up-to-date with new programming practices and industry standards
· culturally competent, engaged community member
· experience teaching at the middle and high school levels in Science and Computer Science courses
· a masters' degree (preferred)
· interest in and demonstrated skill working with adolescents and supporting their developmental needs
· experience using version control (e.g. Git / Github) preferred
· the interest, initiative, and energy to thrive in a lively and fast-paced academic community
· a sense of humor, humility, and the ability to work as part of a team within one's own division, as a member of the history department and as an integral part of the faculty
· desire for ongoing professional growth
· a commitment to an inclusive community
Expected compensation falls within the range of $70,000 - $105,000 depending upon experience.
Sierra Canyon School is a nonprofit independent, nondenominational, coeducational day school in the northern San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. With an enrollment of 1,150 students in grades PK-12, admission is selective. Sierra Canyon School is located on 42 beautiful, rustic acres and has two campuses across the street from each other: the Lower Campus for students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through Six and the state-of-the-art Upper Campus for students in grades Seven through Twelve. Students of color comprise over 50% of the student body, 10% are international students, and students reside in 102 different zip codes. There are roughly 500 students on the Lower Campus and 650 students on the Upper Campus with 134 students in the Class of 2023.
At its core, Sierra Canyon School develops students who are as keen to realize their potential as their teachers are to inspire it. Our faculty prepares each student for a lifetime of learning and active citizenship. Academic and extracurricular programs encourage the broadening of student perspectives and provide an exposure to both the surrounding community and the wider world. Experiential learning opportunities form a healthy, challenging part of Sierra Canyon School’s program.